STANDARD LESSON COMMENTARY - August 20, 2017
Study on Acts 9: 10-20
1. Give a biographical sketch of Saul (Paul) before he was converted to Christianity.
I. SAUL’S PERSECUTION OF THE CHURCH: ACTS 9:1-2
2. How did Saul try to silence the infant Church? To whom did he go to for authorization? Acts 9:1
3. What was Saul’s goal in handling Christians? Acts 9:2a
4. What was his destination? Locate on a New Testament map.
5. What were the early Christians called? Why was this an appropriate name? Acts 9:2; John 14:6
6. What motivated Saul to persecute the Church? Acts 26:9-10; Philippians 3:6; 1 Tim. 1:13
II. SAUL’S CONVERSION EXPERIENCE: ACTS 9:3-9
7. Describe what happened to Saul during his conversion experience on the Damascus Road:
a. How was Saul interrupted from his mission of terror? What time did it occur? Acts 9:3; 22:6
b. What was Saul asked? Acts 9:4
c. What was Saul’s initial reaction? Acts 9:5a
d. Who questioned Saul? Acts 9:5b
e. What was Saul commanded to do? Acts 9:6
8. In what ways was Saul persecuting Christ even though he had not persecuted Christ physically? Matthew 25:40, 45
9. Paul had a dramatic conversion. Do you feel all conversions must be dramatic? Why or why not?
10. How did Saul’s conversion experience affect those traveling with him? Acts 9:7
11. What was Saul’s physical condition after his conversion? Why do you think so? Acts 9:8-9
Ill. SAUL’S MENTOR: ACTS 9:10-18
12. Whom did God choose to first minister to Saul? How was this person contacted? Acts 9:10
13. Why do you think this person was chosen?
14. Where was Saul to be found? Acts 9:11
15. How was Ananias to first help Saul? Was Saul aware of what was to happen? Acts 9:12
16. What was Saul doing between his encounter with the Lord and Ananias’ visit? Acts 9:9,11b
17. What was Ananias’ reluctance? Why? Acts 9:13-14
18. Does Ananias’ misgiving mean he had lack of faith? Why or why not?
19. What relieved Ananias’ apprehension? Acts 9:15a
20. What were God’s plans for Saul? Acts 9:15-16
21. What did Ananias do for Saul? Acts 9:17-18
IV. SAUL’S NEW LIFE: ACTS 9:19-20
22. What did Saul do after his conversion, baptism, and receiving the Holy Spirit? Acts 9:19-20
23. What was the response to Saul’s preaching? Acts 9:21, 23
24. How did Saul grow in the Lord? Ads 9:22
25. Who would this Saul be later known as? Acts 13:9