Standard Lesson Commentary
April 22, 2018
Lesson 8 "The Lord God Almighty" Revelation 4:1-6, 8-11
The Greek name for the Book of Revelation is Apocalypse (which means revelation). The Book of Revelation is known as Apocalyptic Literature. “Apocalyptic literature is a special kind of writing that arose among the Jews and Christians to reveal certain mysteries about heaven and earth, humankind and God, angels and demons, the life of the world today, and the world to come.” (Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary) Other Apocalyptic writings in the Bible include Daniel and Ezekiel
1. Who is the author of the Book of Revelation?
2. How does the author of Revelation identify himself?
3. Where was the author when he wrote this book? Why was he
4. What was the author instructed to write?
I. THE THRONE OF GOD: REVELATION 4
5. What was John allowed to witness while on the island of Patmos?
6. Who spoke to John? How does he describe this voice?
7. Who was the person talking to John?
8. What was John told to do? Why?
9. What had John previously been instructed to do?
10. What state was John in?
11. What did John see through the opened door?
12. Describe the One sitting on the throne.
13. What encircled the throne?
14. Who were seated around the throne? How were they dressed?
15. What came forth from the throne?
16. What two things were before the throne? Revelation 4
17. What did the “seven lamps” represent?
II. THE WORSHIPPERS AROUND THE THRONE
18. Who are the worship leaders mentioned by John around the throne?
19. What do the four worship leaders have in common?
20. How does John distinguish the four worship leaders around the
21. How do the four living creatures express continual worship of God?
22. What three attributes do the four living creatures ascribe to God in
their continual praise?
v. 8c (Holiness)
v. 8d (Power)
v. 8e (Eternality)
23. What three things do the four living creatures offer to God?
24. What attribute of God is described in Revelation 4:9b, 10b?
25. Who follows the lead of the four living creatures in worshipping God?
26. How do the twenty-four elders physically express their worship of
27. What are the twenty-four elders wearing? What do they do with
what they are wearing? What do you think this signifies?
28. What do the twenty-four elders say God is worthy of?
29. Why is God so worthy?