STANDARD LESSON COMMENTARY
January 21, 2018
Lesson 8 "A Prayer For An Obedient Faith"
I. DANIEL'S PRAYER OF CONFESSION: DANIEL 9:3-6 (7-17)
1. When did Daniel offer the prayer as recorded in this week's lesson? Daniel 9:1-2a
2. What caused Daniel to offer this prayer? Daniel 9:2b
3. In whom did Daniel focus his prayer? Daniel 9:3a, 4a
4. How did Daniel approach God? These acts indicate preparation, submission, mourning, sorrow for sins, and repentance.
5. What was the purpose of the Daniel’s prayer to God? Daniel 9:4b
6. How does Daniel address God in his prayer? Daniel 9:4cd
7. To whom does God keep His covenant of love with? Daniel 9:4ef
8. What sins did Daniel confess for himself and the people of Israel?
9. In whose name did the prophets preach? Daniel 9:6b
10. To whom did the prophets carry God’s message? Daniel 9:6cdef
11. How does Daniel contrast the goodness of God and the godlessness of His people in the remainder of his prayer of confession?
II. DANIEL'S PRAYER OF PETITION: DANIEL 9:17-19
12. What two things did Daniel first petition God to do? Daniel 9:17a, 18ab
vv. 17a, 18ab
13. On what basis did Daniel make his petition to God? Daniel 9:17b, 18d
14. On what basis did Daniel not make his petition to God? Daniel 9:18c
15. What did Daniel pray God would do so they would be back in a proper relationship with Him? Daniel 9:19abc
16. Why did Daniel want God to save the people and the city?
17. What does God promise if we confess our sins to Him? 1 John 1:9
III. GOD'S ANSWER TO PRAYER: DANIEL 9:20-23
18. Who came to Daniel before he finished his prayer? Daniel 9:20-21
19. What was the purpose of the messenger coming to Daniel?
Daniel 9:22, 23a
20. How soon was Daniel's prayer answered? What confidence should this give us? Daniel 9:23
21. Do you think failure to confess sins hinders prayer? Psalm 66:18
22. Why do you think God heard and bestowed great favor on Daniel by answering his prayer? James 1:6-7; 1 John 1:9